Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Weekend Update

Ordinary Time
The Assumption of Mary


Okay, so where was I? Oh yeah, Friday. I went down to Harrodsburg to have lunch with a couple of old friends - one of whom now teaches English at a Christian school in Virginia. He loves it though, and I was assured that it's one of those Christian schools that exists for the purpose of a good and holistic education, not to protect the little ones from Darwin. I always get a little freaked over that stuff...

Harrodsburg has seen some new businesses since I last visited, with the addition of a tavern and a few coffee and sandwich shoppes on the formerly empty Main Street. It's nice.

From there I moved on to Louisville to fetch Noakes. He'd been looking for a reason to go visit college friends and meet new folks, and our Liturgical Prayer Seminar with Dave Nixon and Saint Patrick's Church provided a good one. I got to meet David Brandt and see a little of Boyce and SBTS - a little surreal. I'm sure I was the the only Anglo-Catholic for many miles - and I'll have you know I was wearing a papal crucifix...

It was a cool time - we hung out with Jesse at the pool, found a pretty sweet used bookstore on Leestown Road, and spent some good time with the church, between Saturday's seminar and Sunday night Mass. I'll let Alan tell you about all that - he's got some sweet photos here and the mp3s here. Listen to them. I'm not kidding.


Saturday evening we watched Saw II - I was never going to, but I gave in, as no "hanging out with Kyle" experience is complete unless I embarrass myself watching a horror film. I usually try to avoid them, and the other Kyle refuses to watch any with me at all, because when I get startled, I jump and make a noise and that startles him, and he hates that. The worst was a couple of years ago in Georgetown when Rob B. leapt onto the sofa while we were watching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake. I screamed like I was getting my legs sawed off.

Ahem. Let's never speak of this again.

Mike hadn't been to the Abbey of Gethsemani, so we took a trip down there on Sunday afternoon. Apparently, golfers drop in for an office on Sundays, but don't actually chant with the monks (as visitors are expected to do!). I thought this odd, as prayer is not a spectator sport. Not only did five people sitting in front of me refuse to chant, but they were apparently so disturbed by my own participation, that they got up and moved to the other side of the chapel.

It sounded pretty funny - in a guest chapel of 12 people, only me and a couple of old guys were chanting every other line along with the brothers. Oh, well.

Anyway, I took Mike back to Louisville yesterday; we caught up with Darron and visited some big music shop and a couple of used bookstores. It was a pretty sweet day. In the evening it was dinner with my housemates and time well spent with the Cambridge Companion to Biblical Interpretation. Wheeee!

Okay, back to work...



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was good to meet all of you people. Thanks very musch for allowing me to eat your food, sleep on your couch, watch your tv, use your comp, and just hang out.

See you next fall...

;)

Anonymous said...

Kyle, you have an exciting life.

Expax said...

I lived in KY for a 1 1/2 years for seminary and I never went to the Abbey. Maybe this January I'll get to go. Heck if any of you in the area want to go maybe we can plan it out.

Expax said...

OH yeah I like the new haircut. Suits your face & pseudo-beard/mustache well.

Brannon Hancock said...

you are the walrus...coo-coo-ka-choo.

what, no technorati tag for "horror movies"?