Sunday, January 08, 2006

Mystics

I knew a priest once who would tell people he was a mystic. And I mean everyone.

And I'd kind of think, "Shouldn't that sort of disqualify you?"

"Hey, everybody, I'm a mystic. That's right. I apprehend the hidden life of God in the midst of humanity to such a depth that I can hardly stand it."

I remember what it was like the first time I realized this was true about myself. I really felt bad for the rest of you, and wondered what it was like for y'all. Poor dears.

Josh's response:
Isn't being a mystic sort of like being in Fight Club? The first rule of being a mystic is that you don't talk about being a mystic. The second rule of being a mystic is that you don't talk about being a mystic. Third, if this is your first night, you have to fight...
Hmm. Probably. Check out his take on the recent airing of The Book of Daniel, if you're interested in the show...

Technorati Tags: ,

6 comments:

#Debi said...

re: The Book of Daniel; I taped it and watched it yesterday. I quite enjoyed it, for much the same reasons as Josh did (that and the fact that I'm in fantasy love with Aidan Quinn). :^) Anyway, I haven't taped over it yet, if you want to watch...

re: the mystic thing; I think you're right on that one--I think the same thing about people who go around calling themselves "Prophet So-and-so" or "Bishop"...

Expax said...

Mystics & Fight Club. I like it.



Speaking Religion and Fight Club try this quote from it:
I've met God across his long walnut desk with his diplomas hanging on the wall behind him, and God asks me, "Why?" Why did I cause so much pain? Didn't I realize that each of us is a sacred, unique snowflake of special unique specialness? Can't I see how we're all manifestations of love? I look at God behind his desk, taking notes on a pad, but God's got this all wrong. We are not special. We are not crap or trash, either. We just are. We just are, and what happens just happens. And God says, "No, that's not right." Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything. (Fight Club 1996)

Anonymous said...

Here's a slightly different take on "The Book of Daniel" that you might consider:

http://clairejoy.blogspot.com/2006/01/my-first-review.html

Anonymous said...

I am posting a review of the show tomorrow. For me, the real scandal of the show was how poorly written it was. I mean reall, save SOME crisis for the rest of the season. Great blog!

Peace,
Jamie Arpin-Ricci
www.emergentvoyageurs.blog.com

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you commented Jamie. I want to say that I read your review last night, and it is the best one I have read of several. That's probably because I agree with your take on the show completely.

Kyle said...

I like Real Live Preacher's take, yonder at Slate.