Thursday, May 04, 2006

Silly Things About Me

Eastertide

I can't stand the feel of jeans on my ankles, so I am almost never barefoot while wearing them, even just sitting around the house.

It's very important to me that I keep up correspondance with people, and knowing that I probably know too many people to do this with regularity doesn't alleviate my guilt. I have a number of friends that I love but I have not spoken with in about two years. I hate that.

When I was 17 I turned my hair bright orange. It was awesome, and I've always entertained the idea of doing it again.

I love coffee. I never liked the stuff, but started drinking it a little in response to peer pressure friends. It's also the thing to do amongst VBCC. Between the inherent coolness of the activity and the Eucharistic overtones, I eventually became hooked. Alan and Liz have this neat coffee machine that grinds the beans and doesn't use paper filters. Best stuff ever. I lived in their house for about four days before decided it would be my little "job" to make the coffee.

Other than that, I'm pretty much their Kato Kaelin.

The other Kyle is one of my best friends, and except for that whole "me living in Dallas or Oxford" thing, we've been almost inseparable for the last 5 years. This is why it continually amuses me that we have few common interests, except that we're both just so awesome. Case in point:

I have never stayed awake through an entire Star Wars film.

ESPN's SportCenter makes me want to poke myself in the eye.

My favorite bits of are this icon of the Emmaus Road encounter (it's my favorite gospel story) and Rembrandt's Return of the Prodigal Son.

My favorite breakfast for myself is coffee and toast with jam. If I'm with other people, I love to make pancakes or a fritata.

My friends make me a better man. I could name at least a dozen people who give me more than I could ever imagine to offer in return, but I won't because we're all a bit shy.

I could listen to Jen or Johnny talk for a very long time, because their Northern Irish accents amaze me. They're also great people.

I almost never listen to music while I study.

I think about Rowan Williams at least once a day.

My reading for Biblical Interpretation is a bit more boring than I thought it would be, and that bums me out.

I love throwing frisbee, but I don't like formal games. Sports have rules, and that really upsets me.

One of my favorite things is sitting in the Creeches' living room and exchanging clever remarks with Alan as we surf blogs on our laptops and watch EWTN.

I have so much stuff to go get done right now, but I wanted to sit down and write something fun.


15 comments:

Stephen Lawson said...

I, for one, am glad to know that I am not the only one that can't wear jeans and be bare foot at the same time.

what books are you reading on interpretation, and why do they bore you?

Kyle said...

I've gotten all hung up on Biblical Interpretation Past and Present, Gerald Bray, so I've put off reading anything on that module in favor of the others, quite frankly. And I think it's going to bite me in the tail.

Anonymous said...

That picture is cool. Did you use one of those programs they use for the kids on the milk cartons to predict what you'll look like in 20 years?

When you identified yourself on +Alans podcast as the "Kato Kaelin of the emerging church" - I think that was amazing. The Body of Christ has many members with different functions and it can be such a challenge to find our true place and calling.

+ Alan said...

We love you Kato. :) And always remember, that glove I handed you to throw away that time, was a "work glove" and that was motor oil on there, motor oil.

Surfin' blogs and watchin' EWTN - O Boy!

And what, pray tell, is that blob of wood hanging around Rowan's neck? Will we eventually get rid of the Cross altogether!? It's fading, I can see it fading...

Monk-in-Training said...

So Kyle,
What illumination do you attain when you contemplate His Grace, the Lord Archbishop? ;)

Inquiring Anglicans want to know.

Kyle said...

Tom, HA!

We all have our gifts.

Alan, don't worry, I buried that thing somewhere good. In a rubbermaid container. You wouldn't believe what I put on top of it, though...

Dang it, don't mess with RoWill! I'm pretty sure that's a cross, and not some druidic thing, besides...

Monk, I'm usually caught up to at least the second or third heaven, which consists of Star Trek re-runs (the good ones) or freshly baked fruit pies on the better days.

+ Alan said...

...oaths... queens... bed together... mmmmmmm... hold... tongue...

naak said...

Yeah, I loathed coffee for the most part of my life. However, because of peer pressure I have started to like it and have become quite addicted to it--I'm a sissy though, cafe mocha is all I can handle.

However interesting that might be, I wonder if all people start out not really liking it; and the commies brain washed the first who drank it into pressuring others into drinking it so that everyone will be addicted to it so that those who control the coffee bean control the world.

Probably not, but maybe...

Kyle said...

Bad Alan!

No, Naak, I agree. Definately commies.

+ Alan said...

I used to be a Commie! That must be it. And I'm a sissy too, lots of sugar and half & half. Black coffee is for masochists and Starbucks brews little burnt black chunks of nasty charcoal. :)

JHearne said...

I really do prefer my coffee without milk or sugar. But, I also appreciate a latte and those drinks.

#Debi said...

Kyle, I have to know--have you been over to my blog yet and seen the video of the history of the Anglican church? If not, you really should...

Literary Networks and Dissenting Print Culture said...

Kyle, you clearly caught Rowan coming out the door again... can't you tell by the look on his face that HE DOESN'T WANT YOUR ATTENTION nor to "experience Kyle's views on the sacrament!" over a nice cup of tea.

#Debi said...

Actually, he does rather look like he's about to say, "You again, Potter?!"

Kyle said...

Hahaha

Shhh...