Friday, May 12, 2006

Library Issues

Eastertide

Last term when I got tired of shushing or yelling at the same handful of finalists for talking in the library, I complained to the librarians. They said they didn't have time to police the library.

Yesterday I talked to the dean of the College about the problem. She suggested I go study somewhere quiet, like the Radcliffe Camera or the graduate lounge.

I think I should petition the governing board or someone about getting a partial refund of my fees since I (and the other 60 graduates) find the library useless for study.

My choices essentially are to declare war on these kids and see to it that they find me more irritating and disruptive than I find them, or to just study in my room two miles out, the Bodlean, or one of the faculty libraries. I know what would be simplest, but it's kind of the principle of the thing, y'know?

Technorati Tags: ,

7 comments:

Scott M. Collins said...

What are the stated policies of the library? Ours has 3 floors - bottom, main, and top. Only the top (and bottom?) are designated as "quiet areas" ; the main floor you can talk and what not even though there is a lot of carrel/desk space.

Kyle said...

The library is one big room. One room on the top floor of the College's one building. There is no other part of the library to which I can retreat.

It's less a policy thing, apparently, than of mob rule.

Anonymous said...

Amen and Amen. I HATE it when people talk in the library. It would not be unfair to have them all dragged outside and shot round the back behind the library building (with silenced weapons, obviously).

Library talkers: I am coming after you.

#Debi said...

Maybe you can find a way to hide their belongings in the T. S. Eliot section... I feel your pain...

Literary Networks and Dissenting Print Culture said...

Kill them. Kill them all with the merciless wrath of Kyle.

Anonymous said...

Find out where they live and hide dairy products in their walls.

Kyle said...

OoOoOoOooo...