Thursday, October 07, 2004

McGrath: Experience and Theology

Experience cannot be allowed to have the final word – it must be judged and shown up as deceptive and misleading. The theology of the Cross draws our attention to the sheer unreliability of experience as a guide to the presence and activity of God. God is active and present in his world, quite independently of whether we experience him as being so. Experience declared that God was absent from Calvary, only to have its verdict humiliatingly overturned on the third day.

– Alister McGrath, The Mystery of the Cross (Zondervan, 1990)

1 comment:

New Life said...

That was good and I think experience is critical. I expereinced Gd long before I had words or the Bible to tell me who God was. I encounter (expereinced) God.

Good stuff!

Rick