Monday, February 05, 2007

Just Things

Ordinary Time

Every morning I make coffee using a french press. I usually grind it on the spot. I like it strong, and I'm very particular about this. Today's coffee is Kenyan AA.

Last night we had the Best Super Bowl Party Ever, and I think the only person who paid a bit of attention to the game was Liz. The rest of us ate, drank and played Taboo. Have you played this game? I love it.

Every week day morning, I have to decide whether to make up a reason to go out into the cold, since I don't have a formal "job" that requires I do so. I am invariably more productive if I get out of here at 7:15 and hotfoot it to LTS, but I could read at home.

I'm still working through Mary Margaret Funk's book on John Cassian. Thomas Merton still confuses me.

When I had a clergy internship, Monday was my day off. I still prefer to do laundry on Mondays. And not to have clergy internships.

You may not realize this, but I am even more attractive in person than the photos on my blog suggest.

I'm considering a media fast for the first week of Lent. A certain abbot thinks this is wimpy of me, but hey - that's a long time. I mean, does any of us want me not to blog for the entirety of Lent?

On second thought, consider that a rhetorical question.

Is anybody else thinking of some helpful Lenten disciplines?

7 comments:

Peter said...

No Brussel Sprouts.

Tom Mohan said...

I don't think a week media fast is wimpy, it sounds challenging, especially if it encompasses all media. Perhaps add Fridays in Lent as well? I think silence is an important discipline in Lent - and ideas like an extended media fast are right in line with that and help to focus on the change of heart taking place during this season of grace.

J Hearne said...

I'm giving up Gluten.

maybe something else, too.

Antony said...

He thinks it's wimpy of you? Ha! I bet he ain't gonna do it. ;)

Kyle said...

I'm sure he was kidding. He knows the incredible volume of complaints we'd get if we quit blogging for 40 days!

hahaha

-mike- said...

merton just scares you, admit it...

haha!

#Debi said...

Perhaps since Merton confuses you, you could have a daily Merton reading and meditate upon what was said in each day's portion. Maybe it would make more sense after 40 days...

Can we play Taboo again--soon? I promise not to do any more voices...