Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Some reading

Mormons are not permitted access to Roman Catholic baptismal records. For obvious reasons.

In case you suffered religious abuse this weekend, and were subjected to a sermon about mothers rather than the Feast of Pentecost, go read Alan's reflection on the day. For penance and healing and such.

(Once again, say it with me - I am a Church calendar fundamentalist. Very good.)

Mothers are wonderful things, and my own mother is quite wonderful. It would just be a much better idea to honor them on a liturgically appropriate day, like one of the several commemorations for Our Lady. Why, we could even pass out bumper stickers in the parish hall that say, "Respect Your Mother," and kill two birds with one stone. Um, as it were.

Recovering the lost language of lament: Michael Spencer asks, "Can a Christian Sing the Blues?" Make sure you follow this link to Michael Card's lectures on the topic at Southern Seminary.

And if you're following the discussion on why the whole question of contemporary/traditional worship is bad (mmkay?), Bryan reflects on a line in the Mass. Okay, I think that's what the topic is about. Not everybody else. But just to be fair, here's a word from a friend who does believe that creativity has a place in the liturgy.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I may have become a church calendar fundamentalist recently. Is there any program for recovery?

My classmate called this past Sunday "Mothercost" at his church.

Anonymous said...

Might one commend the fourth Sunday of Lent, observed in Britain as "Mothering Sunday"? This has honourable Christian origins (in popular piety), as well as being today a secular celebration.

Unknown said...

I spoke in tongues. Does that count?

#Debi said...

@Jeremy: I'm pretty sure that Kyle considers church calendar fundamentalism to BE recovery...

:)

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with your comments about mothers. Though Mother's Day was mentioned on Sunday at the AMiA church I attend Pentecost was the focus.

The priest gave his "Mother's Day" sermon at the midweek Eucharist service as the feast day for St. Monica fell a couple days prior. That was refreshing.

Of course the last Sunday of this month we have a conflict between Memorial Day and the feast day for Bede. I wonder which will get the focus???

Kyle said...

I recommend finding out in advance, for the sake of all your souls...

Eric said...

I'm an ex-Mormon convert to the faith. When I die, I'm sure my family will see to it that a medium is baptised in my place. At least I've got my bases covered?

What I'm really worried about is that I'll die young, and have to suffer a Mormon funeral. THAT would be awful.

Honestly, Wonderbread and water for communion? Nooo thanks.