Sunday, June 10, 2007

Odin said it, I believe it, that settles it...



Has anybody ever said to you, when you've commented, "Oh, I'd never want to do that," like, I dunno, offer street preaching to equine dentists, and then they're all like, "Now don't say never, or the next thing you know, God will call you to do just that!"

That's happened to me more than once. And I think, "No, you've really confused Jesus with Loki, the trickster god of Norse mythology." And really, when somebody's done that, I might as well not get after them for their liturgical abuses - 'cause when you're praying to Loki, I mean, hell, who am I to say you're doing it wrong?

7 comments:

+ Alan said...

Oh - my - goodness. It's about freakin' time. I bet most people here never knew the PM had such a ridiculous responsibility. I wonder how that worked out back in the 1800's when Benjamin D'Israeli was the PM, and Jewish! Odd indeed.

Now, I await the news that the Queen abdicates her royal right to being the head of the Church in England - good goobledy goo!

Kyle said...

Alan was referring to this.

Anonymous said...

You know I really like you blog, right?

JHearne said...

I read the first paragraph and knew immediately where you were going with it. I, then, laughed uncontrollably.

Don't you hate it when you start out praying to the "Father" or "Father God" and end up missing and praying to the "All-Father?"

Peter said...

Clarification -- the Queen is not the head of the Church of England. (That would be Our Lord's job -- our Lord Jesus that is.) She is the Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

Hey, isn't the Pope a head of state? Hmm...

Just sayin' - you know.

;-)

+ Alan said...

He is, you're right - but he was Pope first, then is sort of head of the teeny Vatican City State. He's not head of the Church, or governor, by virtue of being head of the State. That would be, as I'm fond of saying, squirrelly.

And of course, if you asked me, the Roman Church could do without it's own little country. I'm thinkin' it would survive without it.

Sorry for putting the comment in the wrong place. I was all carried away. ha!

Anonymous said...

Not that it matters all that much to the topic at hand, but...

Benjamin Disraeli, being ethnically of Jewish descent, was a baptized Christian and a faithful member of the Church of England.